Tuesday, July 21, 2020
Important Upcoming Dates:
• Thursday, 7/23/20: Police Use of Force Policies & Community Listening Session: Join us via Zoom at 6:30 PM. Details here.
• Tuesday, 8/4/20 Virtual Q&A with Mayor Beach resumes monthly via Zoom or Phone, 5-6 PM:
• Monday, 8/17/20: City Council Meeting via Zoom at 7 PM. Agenda posted here.
View our City Council meeting video recordings and review our agendas here to confirm the location, date, time, and detailed meeting content.
2) Dr. Morrow's latest Health Officer Statement: On 7/20, Dr. Morrow suggested three driving factors behind increasing COVID-19 cases in San Mateo County: (1) the remarkable transmissible nature of the virus (2) structural economic failures in our society and (3) complacency -- including small group social gatherings among people of different households. Please take 5 minutes to read his statement here.
3) Burlingame Avenue and Broadway street closure pilot programs: we're experimenting with creative ways to increase social distancing in our business districts. During this trial period, Burlingame Avenue is closed to automobile traffic from 8 AM Friday through 10 PM Sunday, Broadway is closed from 4PM Saturday through 10 PM Sunday, plus we've implemented "parklets" (outdoor dining within concrete barriers) throughout downtown. To share your opinion with me about these trial programs via my unofficial, unscientific (not City-sponsored) survey, please click here. Listening is one of the most important parts of my job, and I value your feedback.
4) Caltrain is at serious risk of shutting down in 2021: Did you know Caltrain has no dedicated source of funding? As a result, it depends on ticket sales to fund operations -- which have decreased by 95% during COVID-19. Congresswoman Jackie Speier, Congresswoman Anna Eshoo, State Senator Jerry Hill, Assemblymembers Kevin Mullin and Marc Berman, and Caltrain Board Members Dave Pine and Charles Stone issued a joint statement yesterday advocating for voters to have the opportunity to decide Caltrain's fate on the November ballot. Tuesday, 7/21 is a critical decision-making day for the railroad. To learn more and understand how you can help advocate, please visit the Friends of Caltrain website here.
As a reminder, here are some trusted primary sources of COVID-19 Information:
- County Health Officer's Statements and Orders
- State of California's COVID-19 Resilence Roadmap and FAQ
- San Mateo County COVID-19 statistics
- San Mateo County Reopening Plan
- City Services Impacted by COVID-19
- Sign up for the City of Burlingame's e-Newsletter for weekly and other time-sensitive email updates
Stay safe and if you are able, please wear a face covering wherever you go. This is one of the most important things you can do to help our community stay healthy -- so we need to normalize wearing them! We are all in this together, and our comeback depends on all of us.
Warmest regards always,
Mayor, City of Burlingame