August 13, 2016
- City Council Water and Sewer Rates Study Session, Monday, 8/15 @ 6:00 p.m.
- Former Main Post Office Developer’s Open House, Wednesday, 8/24, drop in between 5-7:00 p.m.
- General Plan Study Session with City Council, Wednesday, 9/7 @ 7:00 p.m.
- Coffee & Conversation with Emily, Saturday, 10/8 at Il Piccolo Caffe @ 3:30 p.m.
- Best of Burlingame Spotlight: Broadway’s Nuts for Candy Named “Small Business of the Year” by California State Assemblymember Kevin Mullin
I hope you are enjoying a restful summer. I also hope you will engage in some important community discussions during the upcoming weeks.
1) Upcoming Meetings:
- City Council Water and Sewer Rates Study Session this Monday, 8/15 at 6 p.m, City Hall: City Council will receive a report about our 2016 water and sewer rate study. It will be an informative meeting. I’m aware that many residents have questions about this topic, so I encourage you to attend Monday night to receive first-hand information, or stream/watch the recording from the city’s website. To get the most out of the discussion, I also recommend reading the city’s updated FAQ on water and sewer rates in advance (listed under Section 7 "Finance/Water Utility" on the Citywide FAQ page.) The formal process to consider any changes in water and sewer rates would start with a public noticing process anticipated to begin in September and conclude in November.
- Former Main Post Office Developer’s Open House, Wednesday, 8/24, drop in between 5-7 p.m. at 220 Park Road: Have you ever wondered about the private developer’s future vision for this property located in the heart of our downtown? Want to express your opinion on preliminary concept designs before formal plans are submitted to the city for approval? The development team for the project will host a community open house on Wednesday, 8/24 from 5-7 p.m. in the lobby of the former post office. Don’t miss this opportunity to engage, learn, and be heard. For more information and FAQ on the 220 Park Road property, click here.
- City Council Study Session and General Plan update, Wednesday, 9/7 at 7:00 p.m. at City Hall: we’re entering the second year of a 30-month process to update our city’s General Plan. This document will provide a roadmap for future zoning and development over the next 25+ years, and will have a tremendous long-term impact on our city. Our city’s consulting team will facilitate a discussion with City Council about land use alternatives, population and employment projections, and community survey input. Special thanks to our Envision Burlingame Community Advisory Committee for their hard work over the past year vetting these issues. Join us for a discussion on Monday night about these important topics.
- Coffee & Conversation at Il Piccolo Caffe, Saturday, 10/8, 3:30-4:30 p.m. at 1219 Broadway: I’ll provide a brief update on important policy issues facing Burlingame, and answer questions about topics on your mind. Special thanks to residents who attended my first event on Friday, April 29th for a lively discussion about development projects, population growth, and trees -- among many other items! Many of you asked me to vary the dates/times of these events, so let’s try Saturday afternoon. Please mark your calendar and feel free to drop by last minute – however, your RSVP is appreciated (though not necessary) so I can plan the right amount of refreshments.
These are just a few examples of the many important decisions happening at City Hall every month. Thanks again for the trust you’ve placed in me to dig deep into the issues and make thoughtful decisions for Burlingame. I value your input, so please feel free to contact me with your questions and ideas.
2) Best of Burlingame Spotlight:
Congratulations to Nuts for Candy owners John and Nora Kevranian for being named California Assembly District 22’s “Small Business of the Year” by Assemblymember Kevin Mullin, Speaker pro Tempore. Stop by Nuts for Candy at 1241 Broadway to see the official letter and photos from the ceremony in Sacramento.