Happy summer! This post includes information about:
- Tuesday, 8/8: Silicon Valley Bicycle Summit
- Wednesday, 8/23 at 6:00 p.m: Caltrain Electrification Outreach Meeting hosted by Caltrain staff
- Thursday, 8/24 and Saturday, 10/21: Coffee and Conversation with Emily at Il Piccolo Caffe
- Upcoming community discussions related to our General Plan Update and cannabis (marijuana) policy
1) Silicon Valley Bicycle Summit, Tuesday, 8/8, 9:00 a.m. at Microsoft, Mountain View, CA
- For active transportation enthusiasts like me, there is still time to register for tomorrow's Silicon Valley Bicycle Summit. Along this same theme, I highly recommend listening to a free podcast I heard on NPR this summer recorded at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco called "Why Two Wheels are Better Than Four." This engaging panel discusses why getting out of a car and onto a bike is one of the best things we can do for the climate and our personal health. Enjoy and be inspired!
2) Caltrain Electrification Community Outreach Meeting, Wednesday, 8/23, 6:00-7:00 p.m., Burlingame Recreation Center, 850 Burlingame Avenue
- Caltrain will host a community meeting in Burlingame to discuss upcoming construction activities related to the Caltrain Electrification Project. Upcoming work in our area includes utility relocation, signal and communication equipment, and the installation of foundations for the overhead contact system poles. Work is scheduled to begin within the next three months. You can learn more about the project on the CalMod website, and find information specifically related to construction activity here.
3) New Dates! Coffee and Conversation with Emily, Thursday, 8/24, 8:30 a.m. and Saturday, 10/21 at 3:30 p.m., Il Piccolo Caffe, 1219 Broadway.
In an effort to accommodate different preferences for weekday vs. weekend gatherings, I'm hosting two upcoming constituent events - at no taxpayer expense. Hope you can join me at one of my favorite local hang-outs, Il Piccolo Caffe:
Thursday, 8/24 (*new date) from 8:30-9:30 a.m. Join me for conversation and Q&A about any topics on your mind, including the upcoming Burlingame 1/4 cent sales tax measure that will appear on November's ballot. If successful, revenue generated will support local investment in essential city services, such as: repairing potholes and maintaining city streets and sidewalks, enhancing neighborhood police patrols and crime prevention programs, improving safe routes to school, and providing adequate, safe, park and recreation facilities.
- Saturday, 10/21 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Here is another opportunity for conversation and Q&A about local policy issues and the upcoming local sales tax measure.
4) Important discussions coming soon:
- City Council will address municipal cannabis (marijuana) policy this fall, most likely in September. You can confirm our upcoming agenda topics here.
- Two meetings related to our City's General Plan Update listed below. Learn more about this three-year community process on the Envision Burlingame website:
- Monday, 8/14: The Planning Commission will discuss the scope of the environmental review being conducted for the City's General Plan and Zoning Ordinance Update. You can confirm meeting date and agenda details here.
- Wednesday, 10/11: Community Meeting to unveil Envision Burlingame's Draft General Plan. The meeting will be scheduled for the early evening, with the opportunity to drop in for a preview in the late afternoon.
Remember you can view City Council's meeting agendas, supporting materials, and recordings on our City's website. Enjoy the rest of your summer and I hope to see you at Burlingame on the Avenue Festival later this month!
All the best,